Steve and I had a vacation trip to
- Check hotel room rates through agents and compare the rates with the hotel’s own website. Some agents charge less than the hotel, but some do not.
- Search Google Maps to see the hotel location and print it out, so it is easy to find the direction to the hotel from the closest subway station.
- Take a free city map from the airport or hotel.
, most people don’t speak English, but some can speak a little English if they deal with tourists. Italy
- The exchange rate between the US Dollar and Euro was about US$ 1.40 = EUR 1.00 at that time.
- ATMs are plentiful, some hotels accept US dollars but most places accept Euros only.
- We saw mostly Visa logos in places that accepted credit cards; MasterCard did not seem to be widely accepted.
- When you see a supermarket, buy some bottled water. The price is always cheaper than in tourist places.
- From the research, there were many reports of pick-pockets. Be careful in crowded areas.
- November – March is the rainy season, May – first half of October is peak tourist season.
- In addition to
Italy, we also planned to visit Greece, so our air itinerary from home to was: STL – ORD – FCO. From Rome Veniceto Greecewas: VCE – NAP – ATH; from Santorini to Milanwas: JTR – ATH – LIN, from to home is: MXP – JFK – RDU – STL. One of the webs to check cheapest airline tickets to Milan Europeis: bravofly.com
- Several cities have more than one airport. Be aware of which airports your flights arrive and depart from, especially if you have to make a connecting flight. For example,
Chicago, New York, and all have multiple airports, and it can take a long time to get between airports. Milan
- No airport tax, Customs, or Immigration stamp traveling between
Italyand . Greece
- To make it easier to get around, learn the native-language names for cities. For example,
Florenceis Firenzein Italian.
Our planned trip involved payments:
Day 1: Traveling.
Day 2: Arrive at the
Day 3: We visited the
Day 4: We visited the
Day 5: Take subway (ticket was EUR1 since our Roma Passes had expired) to Termini train station and take a second class train (EUR42) to
Day 6: We went on a day trip to Pisa Central by train, (round trip ticket EUR11.40.) Buy the ticket a day in advance safely. After about 1 hour, we arrived at Pisa Central train station. Buy a bus ticket (EUR1) at a stall to the
Day 7: We walked to the train station and took a second class train (ticket EUR37) to
Day 8: We walked to Gallerie Accademia, Salute Scuola Grande di S. Marco and other places around there.
Day 9: We took a bus to Marco Polo airport (ticket EUR2.50). Buy it and check the bus schedule a day in advance for safety, especially if you have to catch an early flight. The bus journey is about 15 minutes in early morning. We took a flight to
Day 10: We went to the
Day 11: We went to Hadrian’s Arch, the
Day 12: We took the Metro subway to
Day 13: We walked to Fira, and took a bus (ticket EUR1.40 x 2) to/from Kamari (black beach). Took another bus (ticket EUR2) to Perissa (black beach). Then took another bus (to Fira - ticket EUR1.40) and told the conductor in advance we wanted to stop at the station where we could catch a connecting bus to the red beach at Akrotiri. We took the bus (EUR1.40) to the red beach, then took a bus (ticket EUR1.70) back to Fira. We took a bus (ticket EUR1.40 x 2 to/from Oia) to view the sunset.
Day 14: We joined a boat trip (ticket EUR18) to see the volcano and
Day 15: A minibus came to the hotel to take us to the airport (fee EUR15/2 persons, booked a day in advance through the hotel.) We took our flight (ticket & tax EUR219.18.) We departed at 7.15am arrived at the airport in
Day 16: We went to the Central FS station to check the bus location & schedule to go to the airport the next morning. We then went to see the Castello Sforzesco & arch, Santa Maria della Grazie and Museo Nazionale della Seienza & della Tecnica (ticket EUR8 for the museum.)
Day 17: We took the subway to the Central FS station and caught a bus to the MXP airport. Bus tickets are EUR15 for 2 persons. The bus journey is about 1 hour (we didn’t check whether our flight was in Terminal 1 or 2, so we stopped at Terminal 2. They have a free airport shuttle between the terminals. Back home.
To see pictures from our trip, please visit: